Thursday, May 19, 2011

Requiem for an Away Mission

Nothing happened today that was even remotely exciting. I slept for a long time. Woke up. Ate. Slept again. Then went and got a workout in. Shot the ball. Played Kevin in one on one (they were some pretty intense games, though he won the majority). Played in Open Gym. Took a final, and watched Stargate for the rest of the night (I would like to mention that I have officially converted Bria to the Stargate club :) Yay me! I love Stargate. As a simple aside, the world should know that I spent the majority of my Summer right before my mission trying to get through all 10 seasons of Stargate: SG-1. And you should also know that I completed that task. I also found time to prepare for my mission in between there if you want to get all preachy on me, so there :))


So, tonight's post will be me writing about a previous event that I can't wait to happen again very soon.


It was a night, like any other. The stars were out, the moon was illuminating the Earth ever so lightly- it was decent weather too, hitting about 68 degrees. Brittney Vandenbos had just finished up at work, and I had returned to the Space Center to hang out with her. We weren't sure what to do. While we were discussing viable options, Brian showed up at the school.


Brian is an interesting man. Those that know him, fear him. He is a janitor hired by Mr. Williamson (Vic, my boss) to enter the school after all of our flights are done, and clean up the mess left by the wee little children. He has had a medical history and a family history that would shake any man to have been through. Regardless, he is very different, and that causes the fear of some of the lesser-in-knowledge staff members.


Brittney and I decided to leave as to no longer be bothered by Filch... Erm... Brian, and then we realized we had no where to go, and nothing to do.


It's sad that when you have a little spare time, you decide to spend it at the place you work, but it is a hazard of our occupations I suppose. We decided that we would get back into the school. Prop the Voyager door open, and then try to reenter as spies, and see how it went.


So, that's what we did. We walked into the school, and told Brian that I had left charging cord for my laptop, he followed me around for most of my search, and then he finally disappeared. We moved quickly to the Voyager, propped the door open, and then moved back to the other side of the school (into the new addition for those of you familiar with Central Elementary where the Space Center is located).


We then continued to play the game of who can get the farthest. We initially entered to get walkie talkies so we could communicate from a distance. Then we started sneaking around, and trying to get in further. Unfortunately, Brian was sitting outside of the only exit that exists (besides the Odyssey, but that just makes too much noise). We also decided that we needed to monitor his movements to execute any action, so we were wandering around outside, and trying to see him from the outside.


Brian left. We were about to leave too, but Brian saw our cars. He called the cops. The cops showed up. I was walking in front of the school when the cops showed. I wasn't sure what to do. It became an interesting predicament. I talked my way out of any trouble with the cops, and then Brian left after they showed up, so it wasn't a big deal anymore.


Regardless- it was so much fun risking getting caught, and running around trying to hide from Brian. I miss Brittney. I miss the Away Missions. I am in need of having another. These are the things I miss from the Space Center.


TENDER MERCIES OF TODAY
1) I am so blessed. I have school, books, and most of my other expenses paid for by Fresno State University because I play basketball for them. There are kids that would KILL to do this same thing. I am so lucky. I remember dreaming of being a D1 athlete as a kid, and now, I get to live my dream. I am so blessed, and I am so grateful for the opportunities that I have- even when sometimes I look at the situations I have, and wonder what the heck I am doing. I realized this today, and it truly is a tender mercy to be standing where I stand, doing what I am doing.


Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment