Monday, June 27, 2011

Hero Highlight #2- My Boss: Victor Alan Williamson

Everyone has someone that they look up to in certain areas of their lives. It's always nice to have a model that you can follow in certain ways, and mold some of your personality traits after.

For almost 10 years now, I've worked at the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center in Pleasant Grove, UT. We are a non-profit organization that uses the discipline of wonder to educate children in the Alpine School District. We try to teach them to see things as what they could be, not as they are. It's not the most simple of tasks.

The founder of the CMSEC. Victor Williamson. At the first meeting I had with him, he scared me. He is just that type of person- likes to have the authority rest on his shoulders at first; demands the respect from you immediately so it is clear that he is the boss, and that there are no bones about it.

Vic, or bossman, or Mr. W or Mr. Williamson, or even Tex to some, is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. He isn't the type of person that takes anything for granted. He's grateful for what he's got, and he shows appreciation for it. Our organization is held together by volunteers, and they don't get a lot for the work and effort they put in here. However, Vic knows everyone of them by name, and can tell you a lot about each one of them, because he takes time to know them, where they are from, why they are here, and how they are. It truly is inspiring.


Vic is my hero for 2 reasons. He'll never let me give him credit for them, but they mean a lot to me. 1) When my family was going through a rough time, and there was a lot of uncertainty with where we would live, and what was going on, he recognized that, and allowed me to stay at the space center over the camps that we had. I spent that whole summer working here, and I remember him checking in with me quite often, and I just remember how secure that made me feel- like I had an ally in my corner. He still, to this day, shows extreme interest in my well being, and what's going on in my life. I am convinced that he is sincere when he asks, and he is truly wise in the advice he gives me. 2) Because he's not afraid to just be himself, and chase his dreams. This place where I work is one of a kind. There isn't another one in the world. It's incredible, and it's here because he wouldn't give up on his dream. He isn't afraid of any one else's opinions either, he just does what he feels is right, and allows the world to dream on, while he floats his boat to where he wants to take it. I've never seen him kowtow to the ideas of the world. He stands for what he believes in, and that is his business alone. Truly something that I wish to emulate.



He's an amazing friend, boss, and man. He doesn't agree- but like him, I don't really care what he thinks. I know it. What he's done for me, and countless others has been truly inspiring.

Thanks for all you do, Vic!

Brack

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Williamson truly is one of the most awesome people ever. I think your post perfectly emulates how amazing he is. Thanks for putting this into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Williamson is amazing. He answers like 9,000 emails a day, and still has time to talk to everyone and make them feel at home.

    p.s. I love that last picture. It's a "Why is Bracken taking a picture of me working?" face.

    ReplyDelete