Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Method To My Madness, Mother's Day, and Life

What is the hardest thing in the world for me? I'll tell you, it is to keep consistently some form of journal. I figure if I'm going to write a "journal" that it's pointless unless someone is reading it. Well, I hope at some point I can convince someone to read my newest scheme for journal keeping- THE DAILY FUNK.


Life has a way of making twists, and turns that shock me. I always see something, or have a new idea, or whatever, and figure that someone might find some form of entertainment from what I have to offer. I know in this era, blogging is something where everyone has something to say, and very few even care- but I hope that I can at least get my family to read what's going on, it's a goal at least.

Regardless, today is mother's day. I'm so grateful for my mother- she's an inspiration to me, and I admire so much about her. I will also add that I think she is crazy. My mom refuses to take a break- and it frustrates her to no end that she doesn't have one. It's one of the things I admire about her- she will go until she drops, and then somehow miraculously keeps going.


I have so many fond memories of my mom, and all that she has done for me.


Once upon a time, I was playing baseball in Pleasant Grove, UT. It was a warm and sunny afternoon, and I'd just struck out another batter, gathering confidence and momentum from the mound, I'd opened the game pitching, and we were now somewhere in the 3rd inning. I remember as the batter turned and walked to the dugout that my mom, who must have just been so proud of her little boy yelled from the top of the bleachers loud enough that I think the nude beach in Ireland must've heard it "I LOVE YOU, BRACKEN".


Now I'm not one to complain. I love being told that someone cares about me. Especially my mom, but... I don't know if in the middle of the game, while I stand on the mound, surrounded by my teammates, and also 3 other fields with games going on, and parents watching, that that is the moment in which a mother should share such tender feelings. As the entire ball park zeroed in on the kid standing at the mound shaking his head, the embarrassment settled in, and I walked my next 3 batters before getting yanked off the mound by my coach, who wasn't too happy.


I don't share this story to be rude in any way- it's one we laugh about all the time. Mother yelling from the stands, my father banging his head against the fence when she did that (that's one of those moments as a proud father that you just pretend you don't know your own wife. Of course, that didn't work too well because, most people know my mom, she is a fan of conversation, but a good attempt nonetheless), and son not being able to focus out of sheer embarrassment- sure it sounds awful when you say it that way, but my mom never missed one of my games. Ever. She was committed to supporting me in everything I do, and making me the best I could be. Sure, we've had our moments, and I still get short with my mother (it's the nagging thing, you know, or at least I pretend it is) from time to time, but my mom has always been there, and that's the truth.


I remember a basketball game years ago- where my mom had to do a CPR training, and wasn't able to make it to the first part of my game. It was a tournament game, one that meant a lot to me. I didn't realize how much I'd wanted my mom to be a part of it when she walked in. She walked in the room, and my game was elevated. I played my brains out. I played great! I attribute that to my mother having been there.


There was a talk in the LDS General Conference years ago in which a general authority (one of the leaders) was working on his sermon in a home, and he noted that all the little kids ran home, and called for their mom to make sure she was there. None of them stayed- they had various friends to play with, and bad guys to defeat, but they wanted to know mom was there. Mom's are synonymous with caring, love, and compassion historically- wanting to know that she is there no matter what is a such a big deal to me still. I never ran home and called for dad when I had a bad day- I always wanted my mom, she always made it better.


I remember also, a long time ago, when we were still living in Texas a day where we'd gone outside to play in the cold. My mom loved and hated Texas. She mostly missed the Utah weather. It was cold outside, and she wanted to make sure we were out there. I'd finally grown an affinity at this point for basketball, I want to say that I was 3 or 4, and we'd recently installed an outdoor hoop. I'd been trying for weeks on end to make a shot on this hoop, which was currently set at 10' in height. Mom was playing with Marquelle in the little yellow car that we STILL have, and I was determined to score on this hoop. By this point, it was getting very cold, and something white was falling from the sky- my mom turned to tell us that we were about to go inside. Just as she turned- I sunk my shot, and she cheered so loudly for me that I thought I'd just won the MVP award.


I also remember the nights where mom would come in to tuck me in, and just as you would've done, I pulled the "You can't kiss me," which is kid code for "kiss me goodnight, mom". She and I would laugh and laugh and laugh until I was laughing so hysterically that I couldn't fight her off anymore, and she would give me a series of kisses on my cheek, and give me a hug, and say goodnight. I would always sleep with a smile on my face after that game. Ha!


I remember my mom watching me play video games. It wasn't her favorite thing in the world, but she would do it just for kicks and giggles. I'd let her play occasionally, and I wasn't very patient with her. I loved those days those, where I'd do something cool with my little guy, and her commentary was always something supportive, those days were fun.


My mom is the mastress of surprises too. She used to call some of my friends, and have them over before I got back from soccer practice, or whatever it was that I was doing. It was so much fun to come home and have my friends there, ready to do whatever it was that we did back then.


I just have all of these awesome memories of my mom. She is incredible.


So this mother's day, I just want my mom to know that I love her. She's done so much for me, and helped me every time I've asked, and even when I haven't. She's always trying to help me reach whatever potential she sees for me, and though I might say it's a little high- she'll never stop believing that that is where it lies. I love you mom, happy mother's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment