Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hero Highlight #3- Quincy Lewis

When I was a little boy, I remember wanting to be just like my dad when I grew up. I wanted to play collegiate basketball, have big feet (I used to clump around in his shoes when he'd get home), have a family, work on the computer (because that's what cool people do), and build stuff.

When basketball became a focal point for me, I was a young, highly-energetic child that said dumb things constantly, and acted the fool. When I finally hit the ground running with hoops, I was in 7th grade, and then it was all uphill from there.



That's where I met Coach Quincy Lewis. Quincy is a guy that amazes me on so many levels. He's the type of person that after you've learned who he is, and where he's come from, you want to be just like him. He's a man of sincere integrity, who got knocked around a little, and because of that he became a leader, a powerful leader, who won't compromise values for any reason, and who stands up when things breach those boundaries.

I've learned so many great life lessons from Coach. He would always be sure to use basketball as a catalyst to help us become great people. I think a lot of people forget that basketball isn't going to be there forever. That athletics end at some point. He made sure that basketball was the tool, not the cause of everything, and then expected our best, and that's why we were 3-time state champs while I was playing under his direction.

Coach Lewis is one of my best friends, as well. When I came home from my mission, he was one of the first to visit me, first to talk to me, first to ask what he could do, first to help me through the road ahead. He constantly talked to me, made me feel like I was worth something to someone. He also made me feel like everything was fine. Helped me understand that life isn't about doing what everyone else wants you to do, it's about accomplishing what you can with what you've been given.

Through this whole school change process, he's been there throughout, giving me advice, help, and understanding at every corner. He was actively there, helping me to understand what the options would provide, and teaching me how to make a decision, and then he rode with me through every bump and corner.

I don't mean it to sound over-the-top, or anything like that, I just really appreciate everything that coach has done for me. I could go on about the support, love, and kindness he's shown over the years, but it's not needed. He's just an incredible guy.

There are very few people that I respect more than Quincy Lewis. He is my hero, and I am so glad that he has been such an incredible role model for me in my life.

Brack

No comments:

Post a Comment