Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Miss My Space Place

Anybody who knows me knows that I love the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center with every fiber of my being. I have been here in Hawaii, and I have been loving it so very much. And then, something happens, where I get thinking about something from back home, and I instantly begin to feel like I am missing something in my life.

I've been at the center for something close to 10 years. It's always been my place to escape, to become something bigger than myself, to play, to work, to feel important. I don't know what it has such a way of doing that for me, but that is what the space center has done for me in my life. I remember when I was going through the hardest times in my life, that the space center was the place I wanted to be, because I never felt judged, I always felt welcome, and everyone there is so kind, and caring (for the most part). It literally is the greatest place on Earth.

So this is my ode to the space center. I long to have a mic in my hand, music and explosions in the background, the sound of phaser fire, and screaming children, and staff members telling me things I don't really care about. I miss the ability to be yelling at preciseness of video and tactical timing. I miss the ability to sit at Vic's desk, and talk about everything and the kitchen sink. I, Bracken Funk, miss the space center.

3 comments:

  1. What? You mean everything the staff says is not important? ;) We miss you too, Bracken! Although I think a lot of us are jealous about the Hawaii weather you are enjoying while we freeze here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let it be known that you are missed at the space center! The Phoenix battle isn't the same without you there to fight back. =) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell us some more space center stories. Maybe it will make you feel half-way better.

    ReplyDelete