Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hero Highlight #1- My Dad: Randall Brett Funk

Today I am going to start spotlighting the heroes I have in my life. I have 5 heroes; people who inspire me, and that I want to be like as I continue to put the pieces of who I am together. Tonight I want to share with all of you readers my hero for fatherhood, and friendship: My Father.


There is a lot about my dad that I could share, and there is a lot I could say- but a lot of that is just information that may or may not have any bearing to you the reader, so I'll start with the good stuff.

My first memory I have with my dad, the furthest I can remember back, happened when we had just barely moved to Texas. It was Father's Day, and we had just gotten him a Nintendo Entertainment System:


I remember that being the first night I had been permitted to stay awake past my bed time. We played and played and played all of the games that we'd gotten from our really good friend who owned the local video store. I know I will remember her name when I finish this post, but she was always so good to my mom and I. I suppose that the thing I remember most from that night, in hindsight, is that it was Father's Day- and my dad could have played that all by himself and a) been a lot more successful, and b) enjoyed his new toy, but, instead, he played with me, and allowed me to be a big part of what he was doing.

I've never played on a sports team, acted in a play, sang in a choir, given a talk, had a speech, worked, or anything where my dad wasn't super involved (my mother too, but that is for a different day). He always was either coaching, or was on the first row cheering me on. That always meant a lot to me.

He always took time to spend time with me. My dad would read to me at night all the way until I was like 16. It wasn't embarrassing, we'd take turns reading a book, or he'd just read to me, and we read several series that he had loved, and I remember LOVING those nights. Those were times that I will cherish forever.

My dad will still to this day wake up at all hours of the morning to go hoop with me. Very few dads do that. My dad has made it a priority.

My dad always does his job as a parent, even when he knows it will tick me off. I've found that I respect him soo much because of it. It may not be the popular thing, but he does what he needs to to ensure that I am only somewhat of a schmuck instead of a total one ;).

The last thing that I want to touch on, is that my dad has always loved me through anything. No matter the trial, the situation, my attitude, whatever, my dad has always been there. He is my hero for all of these things, but mostly, because I know that he has my best interest in mind, and will help me reach whatever potential I have. I love my dad, and hope that one day, I'll be at least half as good as him in these areas, because that means I'll do at least a decent job.

I love you, dad. Thanks for everything you do!

Brack

No comments:

Post a Comment